Super fast dinners that you can have on the table in just ten minutes with no preparation!
No time for a chat. Ready to cook? Here are 10 last minute dinner ideas for you.
The meals on this list must meet two criteria. First, they have to be quick. Really fast. Second, they have to be meals with ingredients that I keep in my pantry and freezer. I always have frozen vegetables. I always have pasta, I always have potatoes and tortillas, etc.
So, here they are, right from my note cards: our favorite 10-minute dinners!
# 1 whole wheat pasta & vegetables
This is our favorite last minute meal. We usually make this dish 90% of the time.
- 1 pack of wholegrain pasta (I love wholegrain angel hair – just 5 minutes to cook!)
- 1 bag of frozen vegetables.
Cook the pasta according to the instructions in the package. Add the vegetables while you cook the pasta in the pasta water throughout the cooking time. Drain the pasta and vegetables. Then add:
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 / 4-1 / 2 cup of grated or grated parmesan cheese (fresh is best, but we use whatever we have)
- Optional: If we have leftover meat from previous dinners, I heat the meat (usually chicken) and toss it in after the noodles have drained.
There are so many things about this food that I like but mostly that my kids NEVER complain when we eat it. In fact, most nights they will ask about this meal. Usually they ask about it by saying, "Can we have angel hair tonight?" But that is the meal they are referring to. You will eat all the broccoli and parmesan pasta!
# 2 tacos
- Any meat (ground beef, chicken, fish)
- Any bean (black beans, pinto beans, chilled beans, black-eyed peas)
- Vegetables (tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, peppers, salsa, etc.)
# 3 burritos
Similar to tacos, but you definitely want a tortilla here. We generally use this recipe for burritos, but it can be very flexible. We will add:
- Meat (optional)
- and sometimes rice
If we want to spend a few extra minutes I wrap the tortillas with the filling myself and quickly fry the tortilla in the pan to seal the edge and make the outside a little crispy!
# 4 All breakfast
I haven't met a kid who complains about breakfast for dinner! Whether your kids like waffles, pancakes or egg dishes, 90% of our breakfast takes less than 10 minutes! The only things you have on hand to accomplish this are baking accessories (like flour, milk, salt, etc) and eggs!
# 5 Sloppy Joes
We fill up with ground beef and ground turkey so we always have the ingredients to make these sloppy joes. This recipe is quick and only takes one pan.
# 6 spaghetti
Good old popular spaghetti! The way we make this a 10 minute dish is this:
- First, start by boiling your water and cooking your pasta. (Again – whole grain angel hair is the fastest cooking pasta!)
- Second, chop up any vegetables you have on hand, like peppers, mushrooms, or onions!
- Third, once the vegetables have just started to wither (around 3-5 minutes), heat your spaghetti sauce in the same pan. (You can freeze your own jars or freeze your own to control ingredients, or check the labels to choose a low-sugar and low-sodium one. Trader Joe & # 39; s has a pasta sauce that we have for emergencies like 10 minute Have meals ready!)
# 7 Grilled cheese sandwiches
These can be healthy! We make grilled cheese with whole wheat bread and add spinach leaves. To make it even healthier and more filling, we also add tomato soup for dipping (only if we have something in the freezer. Every time I make tomato soup we double it up and store half in the freezer for busy nights!)
We make quesadillas simply with vegetables, beans, tortillas and cheese! We have all items at hand. Check out our recipe for this here.
# 9 Egg frittatas with vegetables
This breakfast for dinner is very filling and very quick! Cooking for the whole family in one pan is also easy to clean up! We like both of them. Our asparagus frittata (picture) is the one we make the most. Recipe here!
# 10 Personal pizza
Another dish so versatile that you can use whatever is in your fridge. For a personal pizza we use:
- Whole grain pitas
- french bread
- english muffins
- Portabella mushrooms
- Or even zucchini!