Early in the morning yesterday, I was greeted by a series of tweets mentioning that researchers concluded that 24-hour fasting can dramatically improve stem cells and their ability to regenerate. This research was carried out on both old and young mice. According to the studies carried out on mice, the sober mice, the cells began to break down fatty acids instead of glucose, which stimulated the stem cells to become particularly regenerative.
Isn't it strange that what the researchers are realizing today are already well-established facts about our country Bharat? We Indians have always believed in and practiced fasting for religious reasons, but sages and saints who started fasting weekly and monthly must already know the benefits. Yes, I'm talking about Ekadashi Vrat and various weekly fasts that most of us Indians follow.
Fasting to strengthen the immune system
How fasting works
The concept of fasting has been criticized by many, but recent research shows that it can actually help produce white blood cells in the body, which are responsible for fighting the disease.
- Scientists have said that it can be helpful for people with compromised immune systems, such as cancer patients after chemotherapy.
- Older people can also benefit if their immune systems become weak due to the age factor. Fasting can lead to regeneration of the immune system. According to the studies, fasting flips a regenerative switch and the body creates brand new white blood cells that strengthen the immune system.
- Another advantage of fasting is that the body can get rid of the old and inefficient parts. Prolonged fasting focuses on breaking down glucose, but it also converts a significant portion of white blood cells. Each fasting cycle leads to exhaustion and then regeneration of the white blood cells.
- Scientists have said that prolonged fasting also reduces the enzyme PKA, which is associated with aging, and a hormone that increases the risk of cancer. According to Dr. Longo saves the system energy when the body starves and thereby recycles the damaged immune cells. Research has found that in both human and animal work, the fact that fasting for long periods of time decreases the number of white blood cells.
- Fasting for more than 72 hours also helped patients work against the toxic effects of chemotherapy. Chemotherapy is life-saving, but at the same time it damages the immune system. Some results show that fasting can help reduce the effects of chemotherapy on the body. It is also said that such a step should be taken with the careful recommendation of the doctor.
- The possible effects of fasting are examined in relation to all body systems and organs, not just the immune system, in order to achieve better clarity in this regard.
Some interesting data, as reported by researchers, suggest that fasting reduces the number and size of cells and that a rebound occurred 72 hours after feeding. So it can be said that there are no reports of harmful fasting, but there are many positive effects.
You are also welcome to read –
Previous articleForeign superfoods in India – is it worth it?
The 52-year-old writer, painter, educator, health consultant and freelancer, who was always ready to do something new every day, turned into a fitness freak because she was a couch potato, and changed her free soul from 98 kg to 67 kg fell into love again at the age of 45.