Beetroot and creamy goat cheese salad with crispy, sweet pecans with honey balsamic vinaigrette are like a symphony in your mouth.
Beet and goat cheese salad
I know turnips can polarize – people either seem to love them or hate them. Personally, I'm a fan. If you're not sure about beets, this beet and goat cheese salad with candied pecans over baby greens is a good place to start. Some people say beets taste like dirt, but trust me – if you pair them with sweet, crunchy pecans and creamy goat cheese, and then drizzle them with a sweet and flavorful dressing, you will have a different opinion. Try this for another favorite beet recipe Turmeric Braised Chicken with Golden Beets and Leek. You can find more salad recipes here.
How to cook beets
If you've never cooked beets before, you have a few options. Whichever method you choose, you need to prepare your beets for cooking. Just cut off any green tips and rinse them under water.
- Cook: For this salad, I cooked my beets for 45-50 minutes until they were tender.
- Roasted: For roasting in the oven, wrap the beets individually in foil and bake for 50-60 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Instant Pot: Place the beets on the steam rack and pour a cup of water into them. For larger beets, cook in manual mode for 20-30 minutes, quick release.
Cooking times all depend on the size of the beets. To check if they're done, pierce them with a knife or skewer. If it's easy, the beets are ready.
Once it's cool enough, peel the skin off by rubbing a paper towel over it. Be careful – beets are very easy to color! You may want to wear an apron while peeling and cutting beets.
Variations of beet salad:
- If you're not a fan of goat cheese, swap it for feta.
- If you can't find candied pecans in the grocery store, you can make these at home.
- Use walnuts instead of pecans.
- Sub baby greens for arugula.
- Use a mixture of red and golden beets to add even more color to the salad.
More salad recipes you'll love:
Baby greens with goat cheese, beets and candied pecans
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 0 min
Total time: 10 min
Beet-creamy goat cheese salad with crispy, sweet pecans and honey-balsamic vinaigrette is like a symphony in your mouth. This salad will make you look like a culinary spell!
- 4th oz Chavrie Goat Cheese Log
- 8th cups mixed baby greens
- 4th small beets, cooked and cut *
- 2 oz glazed pecans,
For the honey balsamic vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
Make vinaigrette by stirring the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey until smooth.
In a large bowl, mix the vegetables with the vinaigrette and mix well.
Distribute the green evenly on four bowls. Top each bowl with a turnip, 1 ounce goat cheese, and pecans. (* You can buy boiled beets or cook them yourself. I boiled the beets in water until tender, but they can also be roasted in the oven, see notes above.)
Portion: 1/ 4 .., Calories: 267kcal, Carbohydrates: 19thG, Protein: 7thG, Fat: 19.5G, Sodium: 211mg, Fiber: 2G, Sugar: 14thG
Blue Smart Points: 9
Green Smart Points: 9
Purple Smart Points: 11
Points +: 8th
Keywords: Gluten-free, under 30 minutes, vegetarian meals
Posted January 27, 2021 by Gina
Don't miss a recipe!
Receive new free recipes and exclusive content straight to your inbox: