Beef lovers will love this quick Colombian steak dish, Carne en Bistec, made with onions, tomatoes, and cumin. The onions and tomatoes make an aromatic sauce that is wonderfully served over rice.
If I had to describe Latin American cuisine in one word, it would be taste and comfort. My friends and family love it when I cook some of the Latin American dishes I ate as a kid. For me these dishes are my comfort food. Picadillo, Sancocho, Pollo Guisado are all dishes that make me feel at home.
You can find variations of this recipe in various South and Central American countries and regions. Some finely chop the tomatoes and onions, others use spring onions instead of onions, which is delicious too. When I was a kid I pushed the onions away, but now I just love them. For me, the egg above is a must, but it's completely optional.
- Prepare all the ingredients before you start cooking.
- The steaks should be cut very thin so that they cook quickly.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or sauteed vegetables to make them low in carbohydrates.
- Sirloin Tip Side Steak or London Broil is a great option. It's an extra lean steak with very little marbling. This cut usually needs to be marinated or cut very thinly so it doesn't get hard. Here's a great reference that I often refer to for the 29 lean cuts of beef. If your budget allows, buy grass-fed beef, which is lower in saturated fat and cholesterol and has more omega-3 fatty acids, which are considered heart-healthy.
Colombian Carne Bistec – Colombian steak with onions and tomatoes
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 15th min
Total time: 25th min
Beef lovers will love this quick Colombian steak dish, Carne en Bistec, with onions, tomatoes and cumin.
- 1-1 / 2 lbs Sirloin steak, cut very thin
- kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4th TL olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 very large tomato or 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced or chopped
- boiled rice and fried eggs, optional for serving
Season the steak with 1 teaspoon of salt and garlic powder.
Heat a large pan until very hot.
Add 2 teaspoons of oil then half of the steak and cook until browned for less than a minute on each side.
Set the steak aside, add another teaspoon of oil and cook the remaining steak. Put aside.
Reduce the heat to medium, add another teaspoon of oil and add the onions.
Cook for 2 minutes until tender, then add the tomatoes.
Add more salt to taste, about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon to taste. Add black pepper and cumin seeds and reduce the heat to medium-low.
Add 1/4 cup of water and simmer for a few minutes to make a sauce. Add more water if needed and adjust the spices as needed.
Put the steak back in the pan with the drops, mix well and remove from heat.
Serve over rice or vegetable rice for a low-carb option with an egg, sunny side up.
Portion: 4thOunce steak with sauce + onions tomatoes, Calories: 188kcal, Carbohydrates: 3G, Protein: 25.2G, Fat: 7.2G, Saturated fatty acids: 0.5G, Sodium: 49mg, Fiber: 0.7G
Blue Smart Points: 4th
Green Smart Points: 4th
Purple Smart Points: 5
Points +: 4th
Keywords: Carne Bistec, Colombian Steak, Spanish Steak Recipes, Steak and Tomatoes, Steak with Tomatoes and Onions
Posted January 10, 2021 by Gina
Don't miss a recipe!
Receive new free recipes and exclusive content straight to your inbox: