The triceps extension is an isolation exercise that works the triceps, the muscle on the back of the upper arm. It is called an isolation exercise as it involves only one joint and a restricted number of muscle categories. The three heads of the triceps- long head, lateral head, and medial head work jointly to lengthen the forearm at the elbow joint—triceps extension help stabilize your shoulder and maintain fitness in your body.
Given below is the guide on how to perform different variations of triceps extension in a brilliant way!
The different variations of Triceps extension to promote strength and fitness in your body.
1. Standing Triceps Extension
1. Firstly, begin by standing with your feet in a slightly split position where your left foot is just behind your right foot, and your legs are hip-width apart. The weight of your body should be uniformly distributed between both your legs. You should relieve your knees and keep in mind that your core is wholly engaged in maintaining a good position and stance throughout the exercise.
2. Now, take a dumbbell in each hand and raise it directly over your head. Make sure that your head is in the same range as your chest, your shoulders are relaxed and loosened up, and your core stays wholly engaged.
3. In the beginning, both your arms should be completely extended. Slowly breathe out and lower the dumbbell down, bringing it in the back of your head by bending at the elbows. Make sure that your back does not bend.
4. Just as you bend 90 degrees at your elbow, revert to the starting position, making sure that the weight does not touch the back of the head.
Performing this exercise helps improve body flexibility, brings stability to your arms and shoulders. It also helps prevent any risk of injury through upper body activities.
2. Lying Triceps Extension
1. Start by laying on a straight and smooth surface such as a weight bench or a standard mat placed on the floor.
2. Hold and cup the dumbbells with both hands just above your chest.
3. Now bend at the elbows to bring the weight down, so it begins to come behind your head. It would help if you always remembered to keep your upper arms motionless and at right angles to your body.
4. Continue to lower the weight behind your head to align the dumbbell head at the same level as the weight bench or mat.
5. Revert to the starting position and repeat the steps.
Practise lying triceps extension helps in strengthening your triceps and stabilizing your shoulder joint. It also helps in modifying your upper body and improving the flexibility of your arms.
3. Seated Triceps Extension
1. Take a dumbbell in one hand, take a seat on a chair or flat bench while resting the dumbbell on its side on one knee.
2. Cup the base of the dumbbell with both hands, place one hand over the other.
3. While keeping your upper arms upright and your elbows close to your head, breathe out while lifting the dumbbell by extending your elbows.
4. Inhale as you revert the dumbbell to its initial starting position.
5. Repeat the above steps.
Performing seated triceps extension helps in strengthening the triceps to a great extent. They are also perfectly suitable for building up the shape and posture of your upper body muscles.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many triceps extension should I do?
You should do at least two to three sets of 10-12 repetitions each.
2. What are the key benefits of triceps extension?
Triceps extensions are an excellent way to stabilize your shoulders and arms. It is also helpful for flexibility. Together, they aid in increasing the strength and range of motion of your body. They also help prevent any risk of injury and make it easier to perform your daily activities along with athletic activities.
3. Is triceps extension push or pull?
Triceps extensions are considered to be push exercises, along with overhead presses and push-ups.