Hope you remember my experience with genetically modified diets. In case you missed something, you can read it here. GM diet may work successfully for some, but it wasn't my type!
I was looking for a few diets, oops lifestyle, that I can easily adopt in order to live healthily and lose weight. A high protein, low carbohydrate lifestyle is always an option. While in search of a healthy lifestyle, I came across a macrobiotic diet. Let's find out what the macrobiotic diet is all about!
Macrobiotic diet for weight loss
Macro means "big" or "huge", organic means "life". This means that the macrobiotic diet is not just a diet, it is a lifestyle. The macrobiotic lifestyle is all about eating nutrient-rich foods with balanced YIN / YANG properties. Do you think i speak chinese Yes, you are right 🙂!
YIN and YANG foods are the basis of the macrobiotic lifestyle. In Chinese philosophy, the concept of yin-yang describes how seemingly opposing or opposing forces are connected with each other and achieve a balance. Hence, it is advisable to eat foods with balanced YIN / YANG properties and avoid extreme YIN / YANG foods. If you think it's difficult, I say – not at all!
Yin foods are melons, cucumbers, watermelons, bananas, pears and broccoli. These foods are said to keep the body cool
YANG foods include chillies, red and green peppers, coffee, garlic, and onions. These foods have the ability to generate heat in the body.
When you eat whole, local and seasonal foods, we get a balanced YIN and YANG. I will make it even easier for you –
- Consume whole, local, and seasonal foods
- Avoid processed foods
- Moderate luxury foods (read your favorite ice cream 😛)
Breakdown of a Typical Macrobiotic Diet
- Whole grain products: 50% -60%. These can be brown rice, barley, millet, oats, corn, rye, whole grain wheat, and buckwheat. Brown rice is the best choice.
- Fresh vegetables (and seaweed): 25% -30%. The best are cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, mustard, beets, beets, onions, and pumpkin. I found seaweed yukky when I tried it in Singapore. I'm not sure it's easily available in India.
- Beans: 5% -10%. Beans can be dzuki beans, chickpeas, lentils, and tofu.
- Fish, nuts, seeds, fruits, miso / bean soup: 5% -20%
- Soup (made from the above ingredients)
The diet includes some other principles such as eating only when you are hungry, chewing completely, and cleaning up the kitchen.
Foods To Avoid In The Macrobiotic Diet
- Sugar – white, brown, or refined sugar
- Artificial sweeteners
- fruit juice
- Dairy products like milk, cheese, cream, butter, ghee, yogurt and ice cream
- Refined oils
- Tea or coffee . Basically avoid caffeine! Too much to ask 😉? You can moderate tea / coffee. You can have dandellion tea.
- Heavy use of spices
- White rice and white flour
- Foods that contain chemicals, preservatives, dyes, and insecticides. In short, avoid processed foods.
Do You Think You Can Use Macrobiotic Diet For Weight Loss? If you need any more help with macrobiotic nutrition please let me know! Ask ? Ask !
Image source –1
You are also welcome to read –