I'm getting inquiries about what an ideal sugar substitute should be. Sugar, as explained in the previous post, is not good for us. If you missed the post, read here.
Best sugar substitutes
Some of the best sugar substitutes can be
Using organic jaggery ensures that the jaggery is not induced with sugar. Raw honey is preferable for the same reason.
What is stevia?
Stevia, also known as Sweet Leaf or Sugar Leaf, belongs to the herb family and is found in tropical regions of America. Stevia is said to be 300 times sweeter than sugar.
Stevia Sweetener Review
I met stevia a few years ago in Dubai, where stevia sweeteners are readily available in supermarkets. In India, I searched many drug stores but only found artificial sweeteners like Sugar Free Natura, Sugar Free Gold and Equal.
At that time I only found 1 stevia product online – stevias available in India at Goodlife.com. However, these days there are many brands that offer natural stevia sweetener deals under various brand names.
Price: from Rs 66 online.
Sugar Free later launched a stevia sweetener called Sugar Free Herbivia. It was not available from most pharmacies.
I have consumed at least 3 packets of stevia pellets. This product is available in 3 forms – pellets, sachets and powder. This time I also ordered powder as I felt it dissolve easily.
Stevia's sweetener ingredients
Stevia sweetener pros
- Stevias does not contain aspartame and saccharin, which are artificial sweeteners
- Stevias contains 97% stevia, which means it's 97% natural
- No side effects (I didn't notice any headaches or nausea)
- Better than other sweeteners
Stevia sweetener cons
- Stevia sometimes tastes a bit bitter. Adding tea or coffee made directly to it will make it taste better. It might taste bitter if you add it while it is cooking.
- Our bodies are not designed for calorie-free foods, whether artificial or natural.
- Sweets made in stevia taste bad 😛
If you can drink your tea or coffee without sweetening it, this is your best bet. Otherwise, stevia is better than other sweeteners on the market.
What do you use in your tea / coffee? Let us know!
Image source – 2
You are also welcome to read –