Crockpot Chicken Tacos are one of the easiest no-prep meals that are delicious, and always a crowd puller with the whole family!
How to make chicken tacos in the crockpot
This recipe is honestly one of the easiest recipes I've ever made. Best of all, this meal doesn't require any prep. Just take all the ingredients and put them in your pot! There are really only 3 main ingredients for this recipe:
- Chicken. You can use thighs or breasts. I like to use thighs in the crockpot because they're wetter than breasts. Chicken thighs have more fat than breasts, which is one of the reasons they are more tender, especially if you cook them in the slow cooker. I also like to brown the outside of the chicken thighs before placing them in the pot to bring out the flavor and lock in some moisture.
- Taco seasoning. Buying the taco seasoning packs is great, super quick, and convenient. But if you have a little more time, it is very tasty and versatile in taste to make your own. Here is our homemade taco seasoning recipe.
- Salsa. The type of salsa you use in the recipe really makes the taste. There are so many different types of salsas – chunky, smooth, mixed, spicy, mild, smokier … and so on. Choose your favorite salsa for this recipe and you will love the taste of the chicken!
How long do you cook chicken tacos in the crockpot?
Chicken is one of those types of meat that cooks very quickly in the crockpot. If you are using chicken breasts, make sure not to cook on high unless you like dry meat. 😉 For this recipe, I like to cook 3-4 hours on a low level. I always use a meat thermometer to check if my meat is done rather than just guessing. That way it won't overcook.
My favorite thermometer is the thermapen. I love this thermometer because it gives you a super accurate temperature in just 2 to 3 seconds, has an auto-rotating display that flips right up regardless of the direction of rotation, and is always on when you use it and then sleeps when you turn it off.
All poultry (breasts, whole bird, legs, thighs, wings, ground poultry) should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Chicken taco toppings
The best thing about tacos is the addition of toppings! Some of our favorite crockpot chicken taco toppings are:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Lime press
- Red onion
Hope you enjoy this amazingly simple dinner! If you love Crockpot Chicken Tacos you might also like:
Pin this recipe for later
- 1 lb chicken Thighs or breasts
- 1 Cup Salsa
- 3 tablespoon Taco seasoning
- 8th medium Tortillas Corn or flour
- 2 Ounces Cheddar cheese
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 medium Tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium Paprika, yellow
- 2 Shredded cup salad
- 5 tablespoon Greek yogurt, plain
Put the chicken legs, taco seasoning, and salsa in a saucepan.
Cook for 3-4 hours on low heat.
After cooking through, add the chicken to the saucepan and mix well.
Grate the cheese; Dice the avocado, tomatoes and peppers.
Add chicken tortillas, then add topping as desired.
Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 30thG | Protein: 18thG | Fat: 12G | Saturated fatty acids: 4thG | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 1075mg | Fiber: 8thG | Sugar: 5G